Monday, February 5, 2007

False Alarm(s)

Those who have a decent idea of the 'mal'functioning of IIT-D know how regularly we are tested by exams. Second semester started hardly a month back and I am already staring at tough times ahead, with minor exams I starting on Feb 13 ( Idiotic bastards! deliberately choosing this week of this month ). Anyways, those who have a decent idea of my functioning know how irregularly I study, and avoid books till water is about 36 feet above my head. So as usual, this thursday afternoon, I found myself bunking EEL-102 ( Introduction to Electrical Engineering ), popularly known as batti (bulb)... Now, the whole of Friday and Saturday morning afternoon evening went by quite peacefully ( lots of phone, lots of TV, zero padhai.... Bliss!!! ), and then SATURDAY NIGHT 10:30 PM my super amazing friends Mr.S and Miss R tell me that there is a QUIZ ( test ) in batti on MONDAY! They somehow completely forgot to tell me this over the past couple of days! Sunday was kind of a blur then, mostly spent staring very carefully and trying to make some sense of fresh pages of a book never opened by me before. Basically, it was a horrible day, and i somehow managed to get something about circuits into my head.

MONDAY , 8 AM :
I enter class, sit in class, take out my book, last minute revision, prof comes, starts teaching, no sign of quiz, continues teaching, goes on teaching, end of class, no quiz! And the most amazing part was that nobody seemed to care, or in other words, nobody expected a quiz. Naturally, S and R have to xplain, and here's what they have to say:
" When someone asked in the previous class whether there was a quiz that day ( thursday ), Sir said there wasn't. So we assumed there's gonna be a quiz today" !!! I am still wondering what on earth went wrong in their heads...

Another very interesting thing happened in the same class. Midway through the lecture, when sir was telling us about something called 'complete response' of some stupid circuit, a very loud cry interrupted the proceedings. Nobody had a clue where the sound came from, but yes, definitely from the other side of the window. It was a very shrieky cry, almost as if a girl was wailing. 5 minutes later, the cry was heard again. And again, and again! Obviously, nobody was studying, the whole thing was just too funny. Now sir got irritated ( he couldn't bear the fact that a stupid cry was getting more attention than his heavenly circuits!), and he shouted:
" Whats all this fuss about, huh? Why are you so bothered by that sound? Its just the building fire alarm!"
WHAT???? thats what half the class shouted. Everyone was shocked and 'alarmed'. There's fire in the building, and we were on the 7th floor, and this man is teaching away to glory!And he kept on teaching. None of us had the guts to say a word. We sat there , silent, while the alarm sounded twice or thrice more during the lecture.... We never found out why the alarm went off in the morning, and guessed there might have been a minor mishap in one of the labs. But we were still quite surprised with whatever happened, and whatever could have happened... What if..?

4 comments:

Anunay said...

False Alarms by the score it seems......... Amazing life you've got.......... I never thought life as an IITian could be this unique (polite for wierd).......... I mean had I been in for this situation, I would have probably throttled my friends for such a prank............. and walk.........no, run out of the college......... Anyway......... Njoy!!!

Anonymous said...

abe r u serious?? i mean whatever the crap u have written in the second para of "monday 8 pm" incident is right?? oye nobody told me abt that!! shit!!now i m really sorry to bunk that class yaar if all u said is true!!

by the way, i was also psyche abt the same quiz... i was there in the thursday class and with my throbbing heart (as because of some great "maggus", we were expecting the quiz), i could catch only a single word: QUIZ. afterwards, by public's sighs and applause, i learnt that quiz was not thr... thanks to GOD!!!
but i think he said "There is no quiz today. whenever i have to give it to you, i ll give u." i dont know why, but people were interpreting this as a preamble of a quiz, probably in the next class... so man!! both of us were stuck in the same prob... and i was also flipping the same colorless pages of patney's fav SMITH & DORF, when u had phoned me to confirm whether there is a quiz or not, BUT, its bizarre that no one was expecting a quiz.. i mean a lot of people were infering the same scary fact...
BUT I DIDN'T TELL YOU WHAT HAPPENED TO ME MAN..
i had prepared for the quiz wholeheartedly, (though it was the first chance at iit, when i studied other than exams and its only me, who knows how i coped with those scary formulae and all..), was happy that i would be able to answer patney's crap, but...
next day, when i woke up.... it was 8:20 in my clock... means i was already 20 min late..MY HEART SANK, and it was the happiest moment of my life, when i came to know that there was no quiz. yaar it may sound unfortunate to u, but it was like revival to me.... so dont be gloomy man!! at least ONE of us got a favor...

MeMyself_n_I said...

hey i really enjoyed this one! see, writing about nothing at all isn't so hard is it?

arunima said...

d fire alarm at iit sounds like a woman's cry!! wow amusing ! :D
nyway a pretty kool blog i would say!
cheers!